Monday, April 8, 2013

Facebook Freedom

For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

2 Corinthians 3:17 NLT

The first thing I'm thinking of, is freedom from what?  I came to the computer this morning, thinking about how fake facebook is. What's really going on in peoples lives? Am I escaping my reality and running to facebook as another friend? I've told my wife several times, I like my life, so I want to share it with everyone. But, not everything. An article I came across the other day on FB ignited these thoughts. It was entitled "stop instagramming your perfect life" http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/tech/stop-instagramming-your-perfect-life.

It really wasn't about just instagram but about all social media. And what is being social? Is being social, escaping? I remember going to church to escape my reality and not bring it, into my reality. I remember when I lost a business I started last year. I didn't want to be at home, I needed to be in public. I didn't care where, just get me out of here. I didn't know why? In the past, people had to drag me out of my editing room, now I didn't want to be anywhere near it. I had editing to do, which was fine, I just didn't want to be alone, but in public. I just didn't know why? Then I saw others the same way. I traveled between starbucks, I began to recognize the same people day after day. Sure people came in and out, starbucks definitely had its regulars.

Is facebook a chance of freedom, or do I need freedom from facebook? I read and think, God is always pulling me to freedom, regardless of whats going on. The media has become social. It can be a source to express my freedom or a source to freedom, or by getting away from it, its freedom. But what is the spirit really speaking about? Its this freedom, of what really is entangling me, in life. The one thing that holds me back. That one thing is failure. Before the social media's ever existed, I fought failure. I can easily escape from the reality that I need to be freed.

Hits me, God wants a relationship with me, he's relational. I have to be free to really experience that. Regardless of what happens in my life, he's always tugging on me about freedom that he gives. I'll get out in public, get on facebook, instagram, linkedin, etc. To just simply find that freedom or share the freedom I've found and how I found it. And sometimes, I just want to hold it, and keep it to myself and experience it. That's really tough to do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?