Wednesday, February 19, 2014

An Old Dog, teaching new tricks

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new.

2 Corinthians 5:17 NLT

I want this call this one, "teaching an old dog, new tricks" why? Because I get stuck in my old tricks. Doing things the same way gets confused with a consistent routine. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I keep on seeing and old dog in this. Don't teach me anything new. Don't tell me things I already know. Leave me alone. Sure I'm a christian, now leave me alone. Let me blend into the wall. Let me study God. Don't tell me what to do. How often have I lived in my past. Instead of letting old things pass away, I let them dictated my life. This new creation thing, seems like too much to handle, so why embrace it? why live in it? It's the hurt heart that keeps me back from living in freedom. I've lived as a christian for most of my life and stuck in fear of the new creation. It's like on karate kid, when Daniel had to re learn karate and he hated it. As a viewer, I enjoyed watching these new tricks. If I were in Daniels shoes, would I have reacted the same way? Yes. I would be leary that washing a car and sanding a floor would get me anywhere. In that case it was an old dog, teaching new tricks. It's what I call the old school way, that helps me to get back with God. I better change this title.

Hits me, I feel like an old dog, that has to teach myself new tricks of this new creation the old fashion way. It doesn't matter, sometimes it's following a simple routine, finshing the job, getting it done right, being honest. With so much dishonesty, the old tricks, seem new. Living as a new creation, knowing that old things HAVE passed away. Thats not easy, it's a new trick I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?