Saturday, December 1, 2012

Name Brand

Do to others as you would like them to do to you.
Luke 6:31 NLT

At first I'm thrown off by how old of a scripture this is. But as I look at it. It's so relevant for today, it stinks. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I woke up this morning thinking of branding. It's the stamp that you put on a cow to claim it as your own. In this day and age its the credibility factor. Susan and I were in Michaels last night and I wasn't aware that my attire indicated store manager. I kind of discovered that when people came rushing up to me for help. So I quickly rushed to Best Buy. I was amazed of my attire. All I was wearing was my cargo kacki pants and black polo shirt. Don't go into Target either, at least not with a red polo shirt. I kept on thinking about branding, on how I appeared to be approachable. What is it about people, that makes them scary, that makes them feel safe. It's just like in business. Just as Richard said in TommyBoy. "In a sense the people are buying you". I am my own Brand? I was asked recently, if it was dangerous to share tips and tricks to with other video producers. I said, no. I can give any advice, it all depends on how they wants to use it. No need to feel threatened. It's the new trend, it's how business is made. My dad told me this week, that connecting with people used to be on a weekly basis. Now its within minutes. It's all gone back to the good ol days.  I keep thinking of what branding is though. In today's society, its a word many people use. But what does this mean to me and myself? Do people see Christ when they see me? Or do they see some guy trying to help, some guy thinking out loud, laughing out loud, distracted. When you guys read these blogs, what's going through your mind? This guy is crazy.

Hits me, I have often thought that I could show people my dvd collection and they would know the kind of person I am. I could show them the video's I've produced and they would see where my heat is. Look at the photos on my phone and you'll see what I am all about and how I think. Look at my apps and you'll see how I spend my time. What brand am I, how do I brand myself? Do I even need to think about it? or just let God do his thing in me? I represent God terribly at times. A brand represents character, ability, reliability, and dedication. I'm not like that all the time. I feel generic at times, then I feel high end. The more I let God do what he wants with me and I really listen, He'll show his brand to everyone without me thinking about it. As the scripture says, treat them as you want to be treated, as simple as that. Even though I feel generic, He's made me named brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?