Friday, March 15, 2013

This coffee bends mugs

Daniel 10:15-19
While he was saying this to me, I bowed with my face toward the ground and was speechless.  Then one who looked like a man touched my lips, and I opened my mouth and began to speak. I said to the one standing before me, “I am overcome with anguish because of the vision, my lord, and I feel very weak.  How can I, your servant, talk with you, my lord? My strength is gone and I can hardly breathe.”  Again the one who looked like a man touched me and gave me strength.  “Do not be afraid, you who are highly esteemed,” he said. “Peace! Be strong now; be strong.”When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Speak, my lord, since you have given me strength.”
 
 
At first I'm thinking about how many times I've had to perform at church. By that I mean, entertain people, say hi to people, make them happy. Sip some coffee, I read and think. How many times have I been given a vision, and think I can do it? How many times have I fumbled things up instead of letting God work through me? It's this thing of "God does the work, I don't". I need to learn to relax. Today I'm drinking out of my "this coffee bends mugs" mug. I found this at the thrift shop and just had to have it. Coffee, is a pick me up, it gets me going, however I have to monitor how awake I am already, and how I'm thinking, or the coffee won't work.  Here Daniel is expecting to be in good shape, speech, everything after he hears God. But instead he falls on his face speechless. Then a man touched his lips so he could speak. He admits he overwhelmed. That's not what he was expecting to think. Now it seems that he was scared. Then he was touched again and was given strength. How embarrassing.  At the end, God cleared his mind so he would listen. How many times have I left God and ran with the vision? If I drink coffee, when i don't need, but just drink it because it smells good, I get all frazzled. If I see someone at church, who I judge for having no one to talk to when they really are just enjoying themselves in there own way, I'm actually interrupting there time and intruding. Coffee is powerful thing, and I respect it. Do I respect God, enough that I let him work in me and push what I think is his love on other people that appear to be alone? 

Hits me, many of the prophets were afraid and told God they couldn't do what he wanted. They all did what he wanted because he did it through them. They didn't grab God and say lets go. He spoke and they listened. When its time for coffee and I know I need some I need to drink it, not when its time for someone else. God is my coffee and I'm the mug. When its time for me to listen, he'll shape me the way he wants to, regardless how I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?