Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why a Pope?

Colossians 1:3-6
We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,  because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people—  the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel  that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace.
 
 
At first I'm thinking, its just the intro to colossians. I thank God for people too, Paul. Sip some coffee, I read and think. The question comes to mind, why do we need a pope or father? So I researched it and discovered that we felt that after Peter died, he needed a replacement leader to be head of the actually church (didn't they realize they would Idolize him? and take things way too far in a different direction). I then asked the question, isn't that what the spirit's for? Then I see, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world. Who is God anyway? Not, who's the pope? and why all the trouble? Then I'm reminded of superman. I was watching it this week randomly and was struck by the end when lois lane died. Superman fly's up to the clouds and hears his dads last words again and again. It is forbidden to have any relationships, all these powers and I couldn't save him.When's the last time I flew up to my clouds and listened to God? He then fly's clockwise around the world to reverse all the disaster that lex luthor just created. How I would love to change my past, just go back and not do certain things, or go back and do certain things. Paul is writing this while in prison, and he's pretty happy with colossa for their faithfulness to God. But what for? The world is a sinful place and when sinful places become healthy, it's encouraging. How many times have I wanted to not sin after I had sinned?  I'm going to have a Lex Luther in my life, that is always going to be after me, but I have an escape, I need to focus on what God has called me to do, even when I get distracted.

Hits me, sure a pope has been selected and we'll continue with our daily things. The spirit is alive and active and has knocked on millions of hearts to follow him. We live in a fallen world, so much that characters like superman were created to save us from harm I'm aware of. The Pope isn't Superman and shouldn't be viewed as a supreme being. I can't fix my past, but I can learn from it, just like superman did. The pope will give wisdom and understand but shouldn't be looked at any different than you and I. God is using him, just like he uses me. There is no leader other than those around me who God uses and as Paul said " I praise God for them".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?