Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Temptation

Matthew 4:1-4
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
 
At first I'm thinking, temptation. The number one thing that keeps me from God. It's also the number one thing that God uses to draw me to Him. Sip some coffee, I read think. At 40 days and 40 nights of no food, your brain isn't even working, yet God was able to be truthful and hold to the word. That's crazy. I've been in moments where I'm very weak and vulnerable and I just fail. Then there are the moments when I don't. But I'm seeing something here that I never saw before. Jesus was led by the spirit to be tempted. That can only mean one thing. Living the godly life can only grow from temptation. It's the spiritual battle between good and evil. It's being responsible, it's being forgiving, it's saying no, its saying yes. It's being selfless, it's listening to my wife. It's different for everyone. I'm reminded of the phrase "practical application" in tech world. It's the way you operate a computer. It's the most in demand thing in customer service. It's how do I make this work. How do I make my computer do this? In the godly life, how do I obey God and get out of temptation? Whats my way of escape? Whats my plan of attack? It's like where do I go on my computer to turn the screen saver off, or how do I make the stupid thing from popping up while I'm in the middle of something? Do I replace my computer? or is it user error? I hear so many people say "this stupid computer", when its them. This stupid temptation, when's its me. 

Hits me, its knowing where to go to get rid of the problem. It's who do you call, who do I cry out too. It's putting the effort in, instead of becoming immune and numb to it. This is how He grows me, I hate it too. Why can't it be easier. This is how he leads me, but I pray he doesn't. I have to be ready for the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?