Monday, September 3, 2012

The Slide Plant

The one who plants and the one who waters work together with the same purpose. And both will be rewarded for their own hard work.
1 Corinthians 3:8 NLT

The first thing that comes to mind is audio visual again. Everything that makes a show happen. However there's one thing element that most crew members hate. It's pipe and drape. Pipe and drape consists of basicly two or several 20 lb 12x12 steel bases, two telescoping pipes that attach to the bases, and one cross-bar that is run through some drape and connects the two pipes together. It actually looks really nice once its done. The process of getting there, is tedious. I have yet to see an efficient kit or way to put this stuff together, without making numerous trips to different places to get the crap. We usually have it done last after everything is set, get all the crew together and knock this out.

Well Today is labor day, so why am I thinking about work? Sip some coffee, I read and think. I'm reminded of the house across the street from mine when I was growing up. I was called over to take care of it while they were on vacation. I was about in 8th grade. I brought a post-it note over because usually these things weren't very eleborate. Bob looked at me and said "you're going to need a sheet of paper". He was right, lots of plants to water inside and out, and catfish to feed in the pool outside. There was one plant that stook out to me, the plant the was growing on the slide at the pool. He specifically instructed me to let the hose run for 5 minutes on this one. Of all the plants I had to water, he said this one, needs to be flooded. This guy had everything in house, it was so cool, an office that looked like Davey Crockett lived there, a back room for pottery, massive garden outside, black smith shop under the porch, etc. When his vacation came, I began watering. When I came upon the bush growing on the slide, I set my timer on my watch and stood there for 5 whole minutes. Sure I had watered before but this was different, as I watched water flood this plant and come over the barrel, i wondered if he wasn't joking. When Bob got back from his vacation, he told me I was the first one to ever save that bush all summer. That appreciation ended the following summer when he had me water his house again but didn't mention the slide plant, therefore i didn't water it, and it died. That was the last time I worked for him.  I read and think. Hits me, it doesn't matter what I'm doing, watering a plant, pipe and drape, or just operating gear thats about to break due lack of attention to detail. Everything is important. Sure, I can plant, but without water, forget planting, I can set up lights and but can't focus until pipe and drape are ready. The band can play but if gear maintenance is being abandoned, they won't play long. Everything has its part, and if one is neglected due to interest or personal preference, thats noticed. Or the plant, of all 60+ plants to water, the slide plant was his favorite. Every job is important, every position has its value and none should be neglected they cannot work without the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?