Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bewitched or Befree

Colossians 3:22
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to curry their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord.
 
Interesting passage. It's like just do what the client wants. I'm not really a slave to my client, I do have rules, but still they want what they want. Sip some coffee, I read and think.  A few different movies come to mind in this. I think of Amazing Grace and the slave trade that was going on. Then I'm kind of reminded of the movie Bewitched with Will Ferril and Nicole Kidman. We've been watching it recently. It gives a good look into the tv show industry on how quickly things can change on the set. Nicole plays Elizabeth Bigelow, a witch that really wants to be a normal person. She auditions for the role of Samantha on the remake of Bewitched. Her whole goal is to be with Will Ferril and to be normal. Using no powers. This works for a little bit, and then Will Ferril (jack white) reveals how much of a jerk he is. She then resorts back to her powers to make him like her and the unexpected happens. She learns that she didn't need and really didn't want to have things happen like this. She makes things normal as though they never happened. She confronts him on his attitude, which to everyones surprise, he submits. How many times have I done my own thing and regretted it? Or if I was being manipulated and I wouldn't take it? How many times has my focus been off of God? Not many, but is has. Or its on God and I still do the wrong thing. After Elizabeth realizes that she shouldn't have made jack white like her. She reversed it and let things happen. I know I can't reverse things so they never happened but that's why I have to strive to keep committed to God. Even when I screw things up, he's not surprised, because he planned that too.

Hits me, sure I can live my life according what I want to live it for. I can have my standards and my routines to make sure I have control. It will have its season. But if I'm not in seeking God's direction throughout it, I can't think clearly. As soon as Elizabeth quit controlling her world, she became happier. I need to be a slave to God and He'll remove the thoughts of being a slave to my job or anyone else. I can bewitched in my own way or befree in God's way. What a battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?