Saturday, January 26, 2013

Freedom to Breach

For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don't use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love

Galatians 5:13 NLT

Very clever scripture. live in freedom, but don't take advantage of it with my sinful nature. use it for good. Sip some coffee, I read and think. The word "satisfy" stands out to me. And then  I see again the word "called". I'm reminded of Breach. A true story about the capturing of FBI agent Robert Hanssen who is caught selling secrets to the soviet union.  Robert cover's his secrets up by portraying a great family man life style. He's always involved with the investigation of a mole in the system. Yet all along he know's that he's the mole. After he's caught, they ask him why he did it. He says, the "why" doesn't mean a thing does it? I proved our security sucks. To Breach is to rupture, to break, a violation, break trust.

How many times have a I broken trust with God. I have proven to myself that I suck as a christian. I've proven  that I can do anything that I want at anytime. But, I've been called to live in freedom, yet I take that and satisfy my sinful nature. I should be using it to serving others. Which I do, don't get me wrong. I wonder what made Robert Hanssen decide to breach. He was one of the head agents, he knew all the rules, he knew the system. And that's why he did it, because he could. I've been a christian forever, I can go into any church and feel at home. I can fit right in, I know the motions. But, am I still satisfying my sinful nature? Of course.   Robert Hanssen makes a comment that stuck out to me though. "Now, could the mole be someone from the Bureau, not the CIA? Of course. Are we actively pursuing that possibility? Of course not. Because we're the *Bureau*. The Bureau knows-all. Cooperation is counter-operation, and that's the mentally. Of course the enemies of this country aren't so picky. They'll work with anyone who shares their hatred of us. The Bureau hasn't learned that lesson yet."

Hits me, Robert Hanssen was angry and knew how to cover everything up. Why, don't I live in freedom, am I so angry that only my sinful nature can relate? I feel free to be satisfied in my sinful nature while I serve others? Yet I feel miserable. God's freed me from this anger and from the things that draw me to my sinful nature. Even though I know i can sin, I shouldn't. I need to live in the freedom and love everyone because that's my calling, not my obligation. Even if I'm angry, God knows and that's why he continues to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?