Monday, January 28, 2013

Rational Relationship

God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence.

2 Peter 1:3 NLT

At first I'm thinking, a godly life? Then the word "living" sticks out, and then as I read it again  and the word "everything" sticks out. It's like the full packet, its the job description. It's getting ready for a gig and taking all my stuff. I'm not sure what I'll need. I'm one of those guys who learns a different way. I learn when I'm not planning on learning. Sip some coffee, I read and think.

I got a redbox txt yesterday and decided to pick up a movie. I have a list of movies I don't have yet and some that Susan wants. However I couldn't find any at the redbox so I chose one that looked intrgueing called Hope Springs with Merryl Streep and Tommy lee Jones. early in the movie due to the context of the film I had to mute it and put the subtitles due the language of the film and our 3 year olds ears. It was about a married couple of 31 years, and their love life was just numb. Kay finds a book and decides to book a week of marriage counseling for her and her husband. Merryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, along with Steve Carell did a phenominal job as expected. I didn't get quite the impact I wanted due to reading the subtitles. But it was real dialogue. It can only make me think of my walk with God. I've been a christian forever. I blog about it all the time. But my relationship with God can get numb. Sure I think and talk with Him alot, but I don't work on it. This couple had a lot of work to do. They were both numb with each other. Arnold didn't learn the way that his wife did. He learned more after they arrived home. He hated this counseling thing. She was hurt by it. How many times have I made God cry, have i hurt God? God's truth is brutal and I don't like it at times. They renew their vows at the end of the movie on the beach which Kay had always wanted. As I think further, I imagine what my closest moments with God have been. Where did they go? I find it so easy to get stuck in my walk with God and just keep living being stuck. I can get frozen in my marriage too. I read and think.

Hits me, as a man I look at Arnold's point of view, and understand how easily it can happen. The guy was just living with his wife, living in his career, didn't value either, just had them. How long have I just been living with God, living in my battles? God wants me to know Him. He's given me everything I need. Yet I somehow think he hasn't. I'm so used to a society of updates that I feel God is the same way. I'm waiting for a new God to come out. When if I just pursue Him, he makes me new. And that's the biggest challenge is pursuing Him, and listening to Him when I don't feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?