Thursday, January 24, 2013

Impure Holy Life

God has called us to live holy lives, not impure lives.

1 Thessalonians 4:7 NLT

I was thinking of bitterness this morning. Then I read this scripture and it occurred to me that I can become bitter when living an impure life. As I sip coffee and read and think, I'm reminded of a christian teen movie my dad lent me a month ago or so. I finally watched it yesterday with my film critics mind and christian film critic mind. The movie was called "to save a life". It hit on a ton of areas that are in the news these days. teen suicide, sex, abortion, cutting, adoption, partying, drugs, church judgement, high school acceptance, popularity. The acting was subpar as expected but the message was good. The one question that came up throughout in my head was "how are teens reacting to this?" I mean I'm the producers age. So sure I can say "wow, good message" but I'm not them. After reading the facebook comments, it did hit the teens hard.  I read and think. I find myself in this battle of holiness vs. impurity everyday of the week. As a grown man, sure I'm not facing what teens face, but I'm similar. This verse is as simple as it gets, and I complicate it. I find myself having trouble accepting God's love and calling on me. He's called me to live a holy life. Why do I have a problem with that?  In the movie, Jake was famous, he had reason to not want God, but after he knew he could have probably stopped his childhood friend from suicide, he made some practical life decisions. Why do things like that have to happen in life? We were born impure. That's why God has called us to live holy. Because we're impure. He's the pure one.

Impurities are the particles in my life that find there way into my heart by circumstance. I don't even know it at times either. Then I get hurt, angry, bitter, resentful, selfish, proud, etc. Then there's God knocking again. Hey I've called you to live a Holy life. It's like being sick, I need water, even though coffee sounds real good. I really need water. just plug me into an iv and have water constantly be coming in. I wish I could hook up to God's iv of grace and always have it automatic despite what I'm doing. It's a choice I have to make unfortunately. Sometimes its easier than others. Then there's the other avenue of not feeling worthy because i'm living an impure life and therefore I can't be a listening ear. I feel worthless to others. I feel my life needs to be saved first, and that could take years. Then I go on moping around waiting for the moment of being saved. When God's still knocking that he's already saved me and wants me to be holy. I just refuse to accept that.

Hits me, sure I can bounce back and forth between holy and impurity all my life. God will always be calling me to holiness and he uses those impurities to do it. Therefore I need to pursue God and the impurities will come to refine me and remind me that I'm no different than anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?