Friday, January 25, 2013

You call this fighting? We're finally starting to talk - Rod Tidwell

So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

Hebrews 4:16 NLT




At first I'm reminded of a time with God study I've been pursuing these last 10 years. The pastor that married us introduced me to this "time with God". This scripture was among many that I read every day of the week. Sip some coffee, I read and think. The word boldy sticks out to me, everything else just falls in after that. When I have come boldly to God? If I need help, I will go to someone and get to my point with boldness. If have to be honest, I will be honest. I'm not very direct but I am bold. Can I drop what I'm doing and go right to God? not always. freedictionary.com defines boldly as: fearless, daring, and courageous. hhmm. I know have done this with God many times. Then there all the many times that I haven't. Then I get scared that he'll do something since I didn't. If I get used to coming boldly I'll be afraid of receiving an answer I don't want and accidentally believe something that isn't true or that I made up in my head.

I'm reminded of Jerry Maquire. Namely the locker room scene when he really gets mad at Rod Tidwell. Near the end he just gets honest and starts kicking things and starts venting to Rod. at the end of the scene, Rod replies "you call this fighting? I think we're just finally starting to talk." Up to this point Jerry was a just a brown noser people pleasing. Until he had a revelation about really what he thought of his career. He shared it with everyone. This got him fired, the rest of the movie brought his true heart to life. It was very powerful. He had to come boldly with his one client, who really had no hope and learn to listen to him about what really mattered in life. Yes, I want the mercy of God and the grace that He has for me. A lot of times i don't want to work for it. It wasn't until Jerry really lost of it with Rod that they started talking. Am I willing to tell God what I think and really poor my desperate heart out to him? not always. It's a challenge because I feel according to scripture I'm not supposed to. I'm supposed to be grateful in hard times, and not angry. I'm supposed to hold my feelings in, have a peaceful coping mechanism, and not get depressed. Yet I need to be bold with God. I need to come boldly, not peacefully. I'll get mercy after I come.

Hits me, Jerry was thrown out by surprise, and was fighting to keep the wrong thing in tact. He needed to look at his life and not his career. He lost all of his clients but one. The one he needed to personally listen to. He had to come boldly to Rod and find out his own flaws. When I have been faced with only God to go to? I need to come boldly and just let him know what I think. It hurts and its depressing, because I feel what does God know? Then I feel Him tell me, "we're finally starting to talk".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?