Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mic check...is this on?

“For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son.” Romans 5:10 NLT

I'm tired this morning, had a nice time with the family though last night. Susan and I have been hooked on the old tv show Dallas this last year. We finally found out "who shot J.R.?" Susan told me, please don't make us watch "Passion of the Christ" tonight. I had forgotten about that. This whole week I was focused on other things. I felt kind of bad that I didn't put the movie in sometime when I was at home. I will this week, though. Coffee's good this morning, but this scripture has me thinking. I read and think, sip some coffee. I can't but think about the microphone. How many sound seminars have I gone to where the guy gets up and starts explaining what a microphone does and how it works. Yaaawwn. Or not even a sound seminar, he'll explain the sound board to a volunteer, or show people how to talk into a mic. Neither are helpful. How many pastors have gone to big conferences and seminars and go back to there body's with ideas and nothing changes. It's not what is a microphone or how a microphone works, or how you hold a microphone. It's how you feel about yourself and what your going to say. I'll never forget the first time I spoke into a microphone and heard my voice amplified, it was so unique and fascinating. The weird part was, I really couldn't hear myself, like I could hear someone else. When I would speak into it with many people listening, the distraction of my own voice being amplified would make me nervous and almost forget what I wanted to say (on top of the fact of people hearing me). When we are tuning a room, sure you can listen to your own voice and tweek frequencies but your really need to be on stage where the mic will be used to properly tune it (so you need someone else's help). Tuning a room is just like balancing out a lopsided boat once people get on it and sit where they sit, the balance will be different. So the sound guy has to adjust the eq slightly to keep it continuely balanced. Hits me, I many times think that God is teaching how to use a microphone when He's really teaching on how to be comfortable in following Him, and relax around other people. To live like I've been saved through the life of his son. Sure people are going to go up to a microphone and stand 3 feet away from it, aim it at the speaker, keep the lapel in there pocket, turn it off, disconnect it, tap it ahead of time, ask the audience if its on, say check 1,2,3, say nothing because they're waiting for the sound guy to turn it on, when really the sound guy needs them to keep talking so they can get a signal from it, frustrating them and the sound guy (revealing both peoples weakness).  It's not because I don't know how to use it, its because I don't quite understand what to say and that fear I was born with that was restored by the death of his son God is working on me to let His son live through me. Sure you can teach me about a sound board, how to speak into a mic, make a career change, learn something new, think before I speak, watch what I say on Facebook, love my family, fight addictions, but If God's not the audio guy, if he's not balancing my boat, I'll still put feedback into the system and have everything ruined, not because I don't know how to use it, or wasn't listening but because I still consider my self an enemy and not believe and accept that I've been restored. And as far as who shot JR went, it was his own selfish desire that got him shot and practically paralyzed him. Whats even more crazy, is that Christ died for both, regardless of how bad I blew the speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?