Monday, April 30, 2012

The Great Escape

“Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.” Ephesians 4:15 NLT

The first thing I think of how many times people have had to speak the truth in love to me. I'm starting out this morning with another coffee maker. This one is similar to the one we got as a wedding gift, but I have my coffee. It's so nice to be at home at night and weekends. Susan's not used to it really but, things are already getting better. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I'm kind of reluctant about this coffee maker, I've been through 3 brands so far and now just waiting to see if Kitchen aid is going to be able to work for a long time. Can I trust it? Or will I eventually have to speak the truth in love to this thing? Like when Gandolf confronts Bilbo Baggins in Fellowship of the ring or when Indiana's dad confronts Indiana to let the grail go. Then theres the Great Escape. A true story about a bunck of POW's that escape from prison. They didn't belong there and as soon as they arrived they began planning a massive escape. How many things have I held onto because my identity was in them? Many. I find in my growing up years I held onto the fact I wanted to be an actor. From there I went into video. I added music shortly after and began playing trumpet (wasn't any good). Sure I knew God, but he wasn't my identity. I wanted to escape into my own world, my own utopia whenever I felt rejected. That was my realm, that was my zone. I usually went to God last. I read and think. Truth in love is easier said than done. Christ being truth came and spoke it in love and we crucified him. I feel the same way when I feel i need to speak it in love. But when it spoken to me, I'm already aware of what's to come and don't get offended. It's really humbling to receive such hard news. It's such an oil to the fire. It's such a contrast to living this life it seems. It's such a work out. A battle between good and evil. A constant refining. You'd think, when is this going to be over? Who wants to be given the truth all the time but in love. I hate that. Why can't I do this life my own way and fit God in where he can go? Hits me, whenever someone is honest with me about anything and tells me the truth about something. All the chains are dropped. I find all the stuff I've gathered throughout my life and taken with me God was using to help me see my need for Him. Gandolf had to almost battle Bilbo for that ring because he knew what was going on. That ring represented so many things that appeared to be the answer to life. Dr. Jones quest for the grail wasn't as important as his son's safety. Even though he searched all his life for thing, in the end he told him to let it go.  At the end of the Great Escape, Hilts (Steve McQueen) gets captured and again goes into the cooler and the guards are amazed of how free he acts as he begins to play catch with his baseball.  God has used those things to draw me to Him in his own timing. When I accept that truth in love, I can regret what I've done and feel ashamed yet God will show me how He was using all that to grow me in Him. And regardless of whatever prison I find I was in, he always be my great escape and will see how I grew through all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?