Thursday, July 26, 2012

Not Him from me, but me from Him


Do not bring a detestable thing into your house or you, like it, 
will be set apart for destruction. Utterly abhor and detest it, 
for it is set apart for destruction.
Deuteronomy 7:26


Well biblegateway I guess repeats there scriptures yearly. So I've gone to daily bible verse .com.  At first I'm thinking, never let a situation ruin a place. Then I'm thinking of many people I have not let into my home, then the many things I have let in my home. This is tough one, because it deals with the sovereignty of God. But God convicts me, and I still live in denial about what's keeping me from Him. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I'm reminded of the shows I watched, the music I listened to, and sometimes the things I brought it. I have often felt that you can tell someones personality by there music collection and there movie collection. When I look at my movie collection, I have a good variety of stuff, I have my comedies, family, action adventure, drama, TV, etc 250 maybe. Then there are the movies that I don't have due to conviction ( I just can't). Some people will ask me, "you of all people, don't have this one?".  The movie's that my wife likes compared to my interests are different but similar. We both favor justice oriented movies, like the fugitive, double jeopardy, and Breach. As well as Happy ones, Wedding Singer, Tommy boy, 13 going on 30, Bridget Jones, Sandlot. Then I need my superhero moments, Superman, spiderman. We'll stop what we're doing for Star Wars and Indiana Jones. I like my westerns, man from snowy river, shenandoah, the cowboys, good, bad, ugly.  All these things put me a different mood. I tend to seize the moment. Sometimes I need to put worship music on, sometimes a comedy. Then there are moments when I feel I need to get rid of a movie because of how unhealthy it is. I like the actor and the story, but this one scene I just can't handle. God's knocking, get rid of it. I don't. I'm not falling into sin yet because of it. What I let into my home visually and audibly makes a big difference with my families lifestyle. Hits me, I can say "oh, God is sovereign and is bigger than this, so just keep it. The more I draw to God, the more he'll let me know which things will keep me from Him, not Him from me, but me from Him.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely so true!
    Of which I am guilty....
    Thank you for the insightful message....
    Doug
    Fellow Ambassador of Our Father Thru Christ Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Comments?