Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Raising Helen

“So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him.”” Luke 11:13NLT

At first I'm not sure what to think of this. Then I think of how simple gifts can be. I also think of how insecure I get when I'm given something I just don't need and don't care about. Ya the person was thinking, I could use it, all I'm thinking is how soon can I get rid of it. I'm tired this morning, sip some coffee, I read and think. I'm a practical gift giver. If I give something to someone else, its going to be something they need or I know they like. But God is different, He gives the Holy Spirit to those who ask him. Not because they need or they like it. They ask for Him. It's the asking. How many times have I not asked but just wished someone would give the Holy spirit to me?  I just wanted to be changed. I didn't want to do anything, I just needed to be healed. Yet sometimes the God doesn't work the way I expect and doesn't think the way I think. I'm reminded of Raising Helen with Kate Hudson. After Helen's sister and husband are killed in a car accident, she becomes the guardian of there three children.  Helen was not ready for that responsibility or was she? she had a busy social life and thriving career, and in the end realized how much she needed the other lifestyle. When I've asked for things from God, and I find out later how his timing was. My partner and I took a day off yesterday and just spent it socializing. We've been in business mode for months, but didn't really know each other. We didn't grow up together, but he insisted that we didn't talk about business. So i promised him, I wouldn't. I was amazed of how much I needed to just be casual. At first it didn't make sense. I need to work, I need to get paid, etc. His biggest complaint about me the last months was I just was too serious about things. I had to prove that I could be fun. Hits me, the Holy Spirit works in weird ways, He speaks through people to me and lines me up with things, that I don't understand I don't need to. I need to relax ask for His assistance and erase my expectations of what's to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?