Saturday, August 4, 2012

Scatter - Bodenseehoff

Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went.
The first thing I think of is bible school at bodenseehof. My principal at the time told us that whenever were at an event not to huddle in our little groups but to "scatter" and talk to everyone. I had no problem with that but the language barrier was a bit of an issue. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I find myself a bit physically scattered everyday of the week but when it gets to preaching the word, I go numb. It's like I just get numb. When around christians its easier. It's almost like when I have to explain why technology isn't working right to someone who doesn't understand it. I try not to use tech words which can help. In a preaching setting, I don't want to preach. I fear what they will think of the God of the universe. It's because I apply the truth of the word to my life. The spiritual world is a world many people don't want to get into. Once I bring that into the conversation, and I'm not prepared, oops. It's like when I talk about home theatre, they ask me, what I have. I have nothing, I don't need anything. Am I a hypocrite? They laugh usually. I tell them I don't need anything but one day I will get it. My sister Heather told me in High School "just pretend they're already saved". I'm also reminded of a prayer walk I did on Mill Avenue back in 2003 and I ran into a church from the west valley who was street preaching. I walked up to them and asked them what they were doing? I said "if you're in the west valley, minister over there" don't come over here, these kids need a coffee house conversation, not some old person telling them to repent. They told me, that I need to focus on that 10% of people who will respond. I responded, "look, the guy with the finger sure is responding", they walked away (old farts). I'm also reminded of the book I read a few years ago (yes, I actually read a book and finished it) called So you don't want to go to church anymore. It was about a pastor who wondered into a coffee house and met another man who was answering questions about God. The two men eventually would bump into each other for the next few years where one man would really minister to the pastor. Nothing was scheduled they just bumped into each spontaneously. Then I'm reminded of the great commission. Then of St. Francis famous qoute - "Preach the gospel if necesary use words". I have to say, words are powerful. that statement "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is a bunch of crap. Words are huge. Hits me, when did I get scattered? The second I was saved and went on my daily things. Since God lives within me, wherever I go and whoever I run into, his love will show through my simple actions and reactions regardless of how I feel about the situation or what kind of schedule I'm on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?