Thursday, February 2, 2012

Honey, where's my super suit? - The Incredibles

“That is what the Scriptures mean when they say, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.”” 1 Corinthians 2:9 NLT

A lot of things come to mind in this one. No expectations, how I met my wife, getting ready for a show, good vs. evil. Slept good last night, unfortunately I forgot to adjust my alarm from the previous days, and woke up an hour too early, so whatever. I like the quietness of the early morning, sip some coffee, I read and think. It's time to take the christmas decorations down, I don't set timers (so the lights stay on 24 hours) and now the lights have actually burned out since christmas. The christmas tree is still lit though. There can be no evil without good existing. Even Darth Vader new the power of the force. When in show, I can't have any expectations. I warned my fellow camera man about some settings on the camera this week (which he ignored) and sure enough the director wanted his shot smoother. I'm reminded of Lake Powell 2006, I had just finished our big collection of vacation dvds and had so many expectations of how this new trip would be, I envisioned a huge water skiing day, a big hike day, a massive fishing contest, cliff jumping, etc. Well we had 3 houseboats, but they all wanted to part and do their own thing until the last two days of the trip. One had a good hike they said, a little water skiing, some fishing. I ended up leaving my families boat and spending a day with another just so I could get some shots. I was very disappointed. I learned from that point on, no expectations, the (video turned out very well actually).  I read and think, I'm amazed of much I can plan and rehearse and envision my life ahead with God, yet not let go of what I think is best for me. I'm reminded of the scene from the incredibles, "Honey, where's my supersuit?"

Lucius: Where-is-my-super-suit?
Honey: I, uh, put it away.
[helicopter explodes outside]
Lucius: *where*?
Honey: *Why*, do you *need* to know?
Lucius: I need it!
Honey: Uh-uh! Don't you think about running off doing no derrin'-do. We've been planning this dinner for two months!
Lucius: The public is in danger!
Honey: My evening's in danger!
Lucius: You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!
Honey: 'Greater good? I am your wife! I'm the greatest *good* you ever gonna get!

Lucius had this instinct to help the greater good, yet he was married and needed to care for his wife, and what a terrible time to have some crazy war going on. On a date night they had been planning for 2 months. Hits me, there can be no evil without good. The enemy is well aware and believes in God completely. That's why he works so hard to get me away from Him. Yet i doubt that God has anything prepared at times. I can stay in control by being optimistic so that I don't freak out when things don't have happen the way I plan them, but that can only last so long. I don't like to stress, I want to have faith. Do I truly love God or just sing like I do? There's a song written for this verse. I sure don't act like it at times when I joke with my coworkers. I need to quit guessing what God is going to do. He just wants me to focus on obeying Him and letting Him live in me and not worry about other things. When I finally give in and not worry about the next minutes, He shows me what He's all about. Sure I can dig my super suit out of the closet and help the greater good (which is needed at times) or I can listen to my wife's feelings which are in the form of a question "why", which is how God wants me to talk to Him. He wants me to vent, so I can experience His true love for me and then I'll know how to live. At least, until it happens all over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?