Wednesday, November 23, 2011

next to do: Be thankful

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name. For the Lord is good. His unfailing love continues forever, and his faithfulness continues to each generation.” Psalm 100:4-5 NLT

I'm always expecting different verses fitting around the Holidays. It kind of bugs me but its a good reminder. Thankfulness is easy when I'm happy, I'm pretty optimistic, so I don't have trouble looking at the bright side of things. I slept better, my daughter keeps waking up at midnight wanting something, so my wife and I are still attempting a full night sleep. Although we both find we take better naps than full night sleep.  Sip some coffee, I read and think. How many times have I gone to church throughout my life, just angry and frustrated, many. Who knows what about, but as I grew older, I wanted to know why I wasn't getting help within those walls, I get into my truck and simply continue to sin (maybe not as much) but continue. Back in the day I was busy with the sound and video but just struggling from within. It was my fault that I didn't ask for help, but in my mind it was such a small church, that there was just no tech help that I could see would meet my set standards. I found myself clearly burned out after 7 years of only 1 week off per year. It wasn't until years later that I realized that all the training I recieved back in those days from my older peers was very valuable in my career today. All those guys had left before I had began my 7 year venture. But to this day, I'm thankful for those hands on days, of training.  Am I real with God, am I honest with Him? We haven't been able to attend church this year or last due to my schedule or sleep deprivation and Shaynes condition. But am I thankful to God outside of those "gates"?  I remember when I first started working at Ultimate Electronics, that first weekend. Sunday was always the big day, because our ad was in the paper, so I thought "hey, I'll find all this stuff in the store for everyone". Little did I know, it would be very similar to church and me being a pastor or an usher. People came in with there needs or just looking, some with an ad in hand, but mainly bringing there own story for you to listen and point them in the right direction. Sip some coffee, I couldn't attend church for months because of my job but the people I met, and could help was amazing. I was known for being very good with people, I could read them quick and better than anyone. Then there were the 1% who wanted to put a gun to my head or I thought they were when I met them. Then I remember the moments I bump into friends outside of church and how meaningful and how from God that moment was. I read and think, what makes me be thankful on a daily basis that I need to be reminded to be thankful before I enter His gates? It seems like it should be common sense, yet I don't think about it. I'm more thinking about my responsibilities and tasks, and whats going on tomorrow and after church, etc. Hits me, I'm making this about me, I'm not thinking about how God can use me for Him, I'm not thinking about what He's done for me and when I take time to reflect on that, I can't but be thankful. He continues to remind me of how I need Him, this life with all the changes, I'm in need of a God who doesn't. What a contrast, a changing world in need of an unchanging God. I get so caught up with my goals and tasks and battles, I lose track of whats really important, His life in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?