Sunday, November 6, 2011

"That's the power of the Home Depot" ...at it's worst

“God has now revealed to us his mysterious plan regarding Christ, a plan to fulfill his own good pleasure. And this is the plan: At the right time he will bring everything together under the authority of Christ—everything in heaven and on earth.” Ephesians 1:9-10 NLT

Sip some coffee, as I read this one, I can't help to think of politics and how everyone waits to hear the new plan from a new president. I'm then reminded of days in Jr. High and High School, when I'd be sitting in Youth Group just waiting to hear some magic words that would open my eyes and clear every question I've had. I slept better last night, I'm realizing that this is not a busy season at work, it's not as busy as I remember, which is nice but the hours are missed. I read and think, sip some coffee, I find myself being a really simple person, yet so complicated. I'm then reminded of the game "the 3 solem judges" we used to play back in High School. It went like this, the person being judged stands in front of three people, the 3 judges share the phrase "We are the 3 solemn judges, honesty will be your answer, who'm do you love?". As simple yet confusing game, so many kids would say things, that everyone would laugh at, the judges would continue to repeat that phrase until the person would say the honest answer.  I read and think, how many times do I not want to hear what I'm hearing. I don't like that answer, I want something that I was thinking about. I have problems with authority, imagine if I walked into a store and someone greeted me and said "you shouldn't be here, you need to leave, are you going to buy something, no, then you need to leave".  I think of Home Depot, "do it yourself", then you watch HG tv and all the Do it yourself reality shows and you see the "the power of the home Depot" at its worst. No one knows what they're doing, they go and try something else at the store.  It's like 5 % do it right and the other 95% don't. Yet we have authority problems, just get a contractor (hopefully an honest one). Why is is that I have a problem with the authority of Christ. There are moments when I have no problem with Authority.  My wife and I love justice, we love to watch a police chase on the news, knowing the bad guys won't get away with this. I read and think, I think of all the skilled and talented people I know, I think of my skills and talents, and the freedom I feel when I'm using them. Whenever I'm on camera at work, or operating anything, or just walking the floor, I have to follow the action, I need a plan to start out with but I still need to follow the action. Hits me, things don't make sense to me a lot about this life, I'm afraid to make a plan a lot, what if it doesn't work? I'm reminded of the proverb "the mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps". I find I do need an authority to surrender my plans, talents and skills to. Even when I get jealous of someone else and what opportunities they get, God still has a different plan for me to full fill his good pleasure and in that I'll know whom I love and I can give an honest answer. No more Do it yourself, because I need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?