Thursday, November 24, 2011

You can't Handle the Truth - A Few Good men

And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.” Colossians 2:6-7 NLT

At first I just don't get this verse, I'm kind of looking for the thankful part, because today is Thanksgiving. I see the word at the end. I picked up my copy of Super 8 yesterday, haven't even seen it yet, but from watching the trailer, I knew I'd like it. The wife wasn't happy that I was going to spend money we hadn't budgeted but I was hoping I had enough left on my birthday gift cards, which I did. So score! I actually got my truck unloaded into the storage unit yesterday, so I'm really happy, the truck is still trashed but better than it was. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I can only think about being raised in the church and a godly christian home, good parents, good upbringing, etc. Deprived from almost everything that was considered "worldly".  I mean imagine that, I'm sheltered, I'm naive. It's crazy how people can tell that you're not like them. Then there's that hint of curiosity, what is it like on the other side? Why do I have to be reminded to continue to follow Christ? It should be a given, should be easy, I should hunger for Him. Why don't I at times. I mean, I wanted to rebel after I graduated from High school, wait, I rebelled way before that. You'd think once I got saved, I would only have the interests of God and the things of God, right? Sure I did, but I found myself jealous of other people spirituality, other peoples gifts and talents. I found myself fighting myself more than ever. I found myself like Wesley from Princess Bride, talking to Dread Pirate Roberts, "I'll most likely kill you in the morning" every day. The contrast of trying to live a life for Christ in this world. I found myself sold out in my heart for Christ, yet desiring what wasn't mine. No one around me ever talked about it, because they'll dealt with something different, yet the same. It was like a fly fishing pole, just back and forth, confusion, understanding, confusion, understanding. Growing up as a teenager in the church, sure you understood things at times, I did a little bit. I had some core issues going on, that I had yet to understand. I finally developed phrases towards my hidden understandings. "I know enough about God to get buy" and "God only cares about saving people, not about these little things that concern me". I read and think, what is truth? I've been lied to a lot. I'm literal, I want the truth, but can I handle the truth? That line from "A few good men" is true. Can I handle the truth? Can I handle the purity and realness of God? Obviously not, either could any of us, we all put Him on the cross because of it. Yet a friend of mine told me, His love kept Him on that cross. " Life is Pain, heiness" Wesley told Buttercup. Our country started with scripture and now its just being washed away and not by blood, but by our own foolish decisions. I read and think, Hits me. I came to know Christ at a young age, didn't understand it really. I went to bible school after graduation, God opened my eyes and I finally understood everything I was taught a young age, then I rebelled afterwards, then I walked with God and rebelled and walked and rebelled. The truth is powerful regardless of what it is, scriptures or reality. It's sets us free regardless. Following Christ can be easy at first, but then I start figuring out how I think He's doing it and want to share the lead, only to find out He's the truth that I need to follow, and only then I will only be thankful for those truth's that He spoke through so many, in the years past, and present. Sure I'm going to rebel and God will lead me back to study Him, and I myself will be thankful that I He's never given up on me and never will. For that I am truly thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?