Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Incredible Journey

“At that time the Roman emperor, Augustus, decreed that a census should be taken throughout the Roman Empire. And because Joseph was a descendant of King David, he had to go to Bethlehem in Judea, David’s ancient home. He traveled there from the village of Nazareth in Galilee. He took with him Mary, his fiancée, who was now obviously pregnant.”Luke 2:1, 4-5 NLT

I always remember this verse before we would open presents. In the NKJV, it started with Caesar and I could only think of Caesar salad. Obviously my mind was on presents and how long it would take to get through with this story, yet how important the story was. I didn't sleep well, too cold or too hot, but i did sleep. Susan upgraded her medicine for her sines infection and hopefully will feel better by the weekend, she hates being sick. It didn't help that our neighbor across the sidewalk was having tile installed yesterday (you know perfect timing) what a great way to rest, with sound of tile being cut. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I can only think of Lord of the Rings, pretty much the whole trilogy. I had to do some research too. It's 80 miles from Nazareth to Bethlehem, so they say about 4 days Joseph and Mary would have traveled possibly with a caravan since it was census time. The temperature would have been similar to Phoenix in December (40-50's) so not miserable but definitely chilly. I also think of what drives me in my life, what visions and ideas I get, and how I don't let go of them. Joseph and Mary both had a vision that God place on them, as did Frodo and the fellowship of the Ring. It was tough back in the bible days, very primitive, no gps, you knew what you knew, and you did as you did, you went with your instinct. You followed along with the law, no questions. My journey I find myself taking in my life now with my wife and daughter is no easier than without them. They are my life, we moved this summer for the 4th time in 4 years (sounds like the army). No we didn't move 80 miles away (3 miles) but amongst crazy schedules, I did it myself. Joseph and Mary took only what they needed, no memorabilia. The fellowship had one thing in mind, get that ring in the fire. I've made mistakes in my journeys in life. Every day is a journey for me it seems. I read and think, even though Jesus wasn't going to be a descendant of David, God still wanted his dad to be a man after his own heart and to raise him with that mindset. Hits me, the journey he had for me during the 31 years before I got married, to the journey he has for me now with a family, regardless how many miles it is, and for whatever reason He has, He's never been lost. There are times when He doesn't make sense at all, yet He's always showing me something new about Him. Mary was very pregnant and to travel for 4 days on a donkey? Are you kidding? You're asking for labor to happen. It doesn't matter how I think and am prepared, God still has it together. I'm reminded of the book "the incredible Journey" when I was younger. About a two dogs and a cat who use their given instincts to find their way back home to their owners. I'm amazed of how God doesn't part from anyone. Regardless of how lost I feel at times with Him or my life, the journey that He has me on, is only to show me during and in the long run, His amazing plan, and the fact that I can't travel this incredible journey without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?