Friday, December 9, 2011

Luke, I am your father - Darth Vader

““Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.” John 15:5,8NLT

Honestly, I never understood this one either, come to think about it, the whole bible doesn't make sense at times. This one I remember in sunday school but could only think of Jack and the Beanstock, grapes, and fruit being, having children.  I was confused. Oh the thoughts I had as a kid. Trying to stay away from the coffee to fight this cold. Drink some juice, I read and think. How many times do I want to do things my way and get the same results, I'm reminded of Luke Skywalker attempting to get his father in the Empire Strikes back. He told Yoda, "but, I've learned so much", yet he wasn't ready and nearly got himself killed. How many times have I believed I needed to do something and or needed something and my ambition, passion, and anxiety got the better of me and I ruined it for everyone and myself.  I wasn't patient and prayed, I was confident in my knowledge and determined to make it right. Nothing wrong with that. It's all how I communicate. I don't communicate what I intend to communicate. I read and think, I think of the dreams I have for my video company, I think of the pastors out there that want their congregations to grow, the families that want everyone to be healthy. Sure I can follow all the commercials about living healthy and getting rich, or watch intervention and be thankful it's not me.  I can be inspired by Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I can watch and make all kind of feel good videos. I can think a happy thought. Hits me, I'm not remaining in God enough. I find myself going to Him like the grocery store, only when I need him. I take from him until I feel its good enough and then leave. God is not an insurance policy, where I use Him only when I need him. If I strive to remain in Him, as He is always there to remain in me in the moment I need, I realize it doesn't matter what state I'm in, what attitude I have, what mistakes I've made up to then, He's used all those situations to format me into a true disciple, and he loves that.  Luke followed is heart not intending to meet his father, he was trying to save his friends, with the little training he had received, he ran into a situation that would change his life forever (Darth Vader was his dad). In the same way I can't look back and not see God teaching me through what i call mistakes, but showing me a different way and really, who I am in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?