Friday, December 30, 2011

Dallas

“I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”” John 16:33 NLT

I really don't know what to think of this one. Maybe I'm still waking up, but just not sure what to think. We had another night of good sleep, all though Shayne didn't wake up, I still struggled a bit. Sip some coffee, I read and think. Peace, trials, and overcoming the world. Sounds like a business plan. I'm honestly reminded of the tv show Dallas. When the series aired back in the late 80's I was too young to watch. Last year they had a marathon on new years eve and my wife and I just got addicted. I got the first two seasons on dvd for christmas. Dallas is based on the life of the family the Ewings who by generations have owned land with oil wells, along with a ranch, and other things and people. They live on a ranch and their family isn't big but fully grown all lives together. Two brothers, one who's corrupt, the other who is stable run the Ewing business. Each episode is usually about how corrupt the older brother can get to have his power and money. Honestly, as a movie guy, I'm amazed in the brilliant writing and acting in a tv series. I'm so used to the junk in the 21st century. The series went on for 14 seasons, that's alot. They dealt with some serious controversial topics for it being in the late 70's-80's. I read and think, how many times have I done something knowing I wouldn't have peace about it? Jesus had to explain why He was teaching them. They didn't know about peace either, He had to tell them, that it was found in Him and they still didn't get it. I still don't get it, even when its right in front of me. He's overcome the world, I still don't get it. The Ewings were all about protecting their power and money and social class, yet you saw how miserable they were. It was true, back in that time era, social responsibilities were there, they still are in different ways. I do shows at work for that very reason, social gatherings. It's this first impression of money, power, opportunity, and success that supposedly brings peace. Hits me, I'm human and am going to have many trials and sorrows. Is it because I'm looking to provide my own peace inside, ya sometimes. I find myself having to believe something I'm not used to believing until later. That my trials and sorrows have already been overcome and taken care of. That there is a plan, I'm it. He'll reveal to me and give me peace as I obey Him, not as I see fit. Sure Dallas is just a bunch of stories, but its true for me. I don't have power and money, but I do search in the wrong places to find my peace at times. But it's my heart that longs for the peace, that's only found Him who just so happened to overcome the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?