Saturday, December 24, 2011

Not knowing what I paid for

“They hurried to the village and found Mary and Joseph. And there was the baby, lying in the manger. After seeing him, the shepherds told everyone what had happened and what the angel had said to them about this child. All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished, but Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often. The shepherds went back to their flocks, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen. It was just as the angel had told them.” Luke 2:16-20 NLT

I'm thinking that the story is almost over. I've heard and read this thousands of times. It's like watching a movie thousands of times or listening to a song thousands of times. I didn't sleep too well last night. But nothing that coffee can't fix. Sip some coffee, I read and think, I'm reminded of when I first working at Ultimate Electronics. I was in training for two weeks. I came from working church av and standing behind a sound board for 14 years. Now I would be doing home theater. I thought how can it be any different? LOL. In the beginning of training we all took a test on how much we already knew. I found I knew 50%, so I wasn't bad. But I was amazed to find how different the two avenues of audio and video were, yet the same. In training, I learned not just about home theater but how to talk to people (I was already pretty good at that). But I learned more than anything to listen and remember what the customers were saying. I quickly rose to the top of sales charts, but my margins were terrible, sure I was selling but I was not profiting very much. My goal was to sell them what they needed not what would make me a profit. I told my family and friends everything I was learning about this stuff. They eventually came and I sold them their home theater systems. It was just like the shepherds with Mary and Joseph, I couldn't believe what I seen and heard. After the shepherds had seen Jesus, they then told everyone what they had experienced. Last night after wiring this used system up I had received from a kind neighbor. I put on Christmas vacation and already was experiencing a new sound from the movie. Susan asked me if I could hear people talking outside the door. I told her, it was the speakers. With surround sound, the dvd can now give us what we really paid for (a sales pitch I used to use). Hits me, sure i can read this verse like I have for decades and just say "oh cool, its when the shepherds visited Jesus" or I can read this one again asking Him for his vision and sound to enlighten me and help me be astonished. No surround sound or HD tv can ever replace the moment God opens my eyes and ears to see who He is and hear His voice to know Him. Just as everyday is a new day, God wants me to see Him in my own way, wired or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?