Sunday, December 25, 2011

The Leg Lamp

“For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.”Isaiah 9:6 NLT



Oh yes the verse that ended the story. Or did it begin it? It's Christmas morning, my leg lamp is on, the tree is lit, mommy has all the presents around the tree, and a christmas story is playing on TBS.  Just how I like Christmas morning to be. I love it that I'm not out of coffee this morning. Sip some coffee, as we were watching the leg lamp scene in Christmas story this morning with the tv muted, I was all the sudden struck on what the leg lamp meant to the dad, and then what Christ means to me. HUH? Here "my old man" as Ralphie called him, battled the furnace, his job and everyday stuff. His wife took good care of the boys. The couple was different, but they were a good team. But there was something internal that the old man did, his cross word puzzles, something that was small, yet fun for him and challenging. Just like Christ, came to this earth really unexpected as a baby to save us from what we didn't understand we had. Even when his major award came in the mail and he looking at it from the outside, he didn't explain how he won, He just knew he won! It was something internal that he looked forward to, something that no one could care less about, but him. Yet the leg shine for the neighborhood to see, it was dirt ugly (which is why I bought one and have it also on for everyone to see). Christ came for the spot inside my heart that I didn't know need fixing, He came in a way no one expected, as a baby. He stood out for the main people to hate, and they broke him apart. Sure he looked weird maybe but the message He came with for me to understand was to affect that part of me that no one understands at times, but Him. When the leg lamp shattered (due to a controversial incident that the married couple still debates about to this day) sure it was funny, but it wasn't about the lamp, to me it was about his dignity, that one spot in his heart that was rarely touched, that one spot in my heart that very few people know about that I've had since my childhood. That's why Christ came, I believe, to fill the spot I didn't know I have in such a unique way, in the form of a baby, and sometimes in the form of a leg.

Below is my leg lamp and my cat


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?