Saturday, March 17, 2012

Cast Away

“[Psalm 23] A psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name.” Psalm 23:1-3 NLT

this one is probably the most famous next to John 3:16. I've kind of never understood the real meaning of this either. Happy St. Patrick's day! Mommy has a sinus infection again but has the right medicine this time first. Shayne still has her cough at night. I'm taking care of her while mommy gets better. I'm trying dunk donuts coffee this morning. I'm not sure about it, it doesn't have the spark that Starbucks has. Sip some coffee, I read and think. Do I really have all I need? Is God all I need? I'm reminded of Cast away and then Swiss Family Robinson. In Cast Away, (Susan's most hated movie, since chuck doesn't get his wife back at the end). Chuck Noland is a fed ex manager who after his plane crashes on a deserted island has to survive on what he can do. In Swiss Family Robinson, the family gets shipwrecked and boats to a nearby island where they setup home eventually. Both stories were just trying to get from point a to point b and it didn't happen. Then I'm reminded of a an ABC show called "what would you do?" ABC sets up a scenario in public to see what the public would do and then intervenes when they start doing something. My life is full of surprises. I read and think. I get this backwards a lot. I read it right but react wrong. I keep on reading it as, the Lord is my shepherd he'll tag along. Instead of the Lord is my shepherd, I'll follow him. I feel like a cast away at times. All alone in this world. When Chuck realized he was stranded, he had to fend for himself with his own instincts. there was a ton of fed ex delivery packages that were to get to there recipients, but he couldn't care. They weren't going to make it. He used what he had and made it work. Even when he got lonely, out of his anger he through a volleyball with his bloody hand. Then later he kind of saw a face out of the hand print. He then made some eyes and mouth for it and called it "wilson". Wilson said nothing ever. But it was the companionship that Chuck needed, to gather his thoughts about how to survive. Sometimes I feel like a cast away, yet God is right there in the form of something unexpected but understood. He's been my camera at times (my way of escape). Without knowing it he leads by my own peaceful streams, renews my strength. Its crazy of how independent I think I am, yet how I need to depend on Him.  Chuck couldn't survive without Wilson, yet when wilson floated away from the raft, it was time to say goodbye to an old friend, he was only there for a season. Hits me, I'm a total cast away in this life, on my own striving to live for God, humble myself at much as I can. God show's up always there in some way showing me how to follow Him, hinting to me softly. He is my shepherd even when I think he's tagging along, he isn't, he's just way ahead, patiently waiting to bring honor to His name in the situation I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?