Friday, March 30, 2012

Can't we all just get along? - Rodney King

“He was despised and rejected— a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief. We turned our backs on him and looked the other way. He was despised, and we did not care. Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins!” Isaiah 53:3-4 NLT

I don't think I've ever understood or could relate with this one. Though the ending makes me think a little. Slept good last night. For some reason I have toddler radio songs in my head. I must have a toddler. Susan is making a great recovery from her wisdom teeth and both her and Shayne will be able to attend Jessica's wedding tomorrow. Sip some coffee, I read and think. Why do I fear so much at times? I wouldn't have rejected God if I didn't fear the unknown. I prep so much, so I can fear less, then I find myself still nervous. It's that one person in my life that just intimidates me and I can't wait to end the conversation. Why can't we all just get along? Rodney King comes to mind. I'm reminded of the movie Freedom Writers with Hillary Swank. She's a teacher that gets a job in a bad part of L.A. where no one gets along, but she see's the kids differenlty and encourages them to write there stories on paper, which gave them freedom. I read scripture and when I mess things up, I wonder if God will punish me. I live in such a fear bases world. I don't believe scripture it seems. How many times do I fear being punished at work. Susan and I talk about it all the time. We feel we'll be fired for different things. Yet what bosses look for to fire someone is far beyond what we would ever think of doing. I also find when I'm editing, I have to tell the people to give me editing time. Time to focus, be alone and think. I'm taking time this morning to look at scripture. I'm really busy in my life right now. Even though I am, I need that nourishment. Hits me, I find that when I'm with a group of people and a question is asked. I find I can't focus, I fear they want a certain answer that I too dumb to figure out. Then when they help us with the answer I find it was so simple. It's like my anxiety just flames up or something. Jesus was despised and we did not care. I am so much in fear of rejection, of failing, that I very rarely am willing to take a risk that i need to take. I keep on applying my own reasoning to obeying His will. Instead of apply myself to His word and seeing my circumstance through His eyes. Rodney King uttered the phrase "Why can't we all just get along" after being beaten by a bunch of officers in California in the 90's. Hillary Swank protrayed Erin Gruwell in Freedom Writers. They both shared experiences of a fear based world, where were all just trying to survive, yet our own fears are keeping us away from doing anything to experience that freedom. Sure I can get along with most everyone, but by giving into my fears of failure, rejection, and impontency, and strive to let Jesus live his life, I'll see everyone and everything through His eyes and live in the freedom He that he wrote about in his word and wants me to live everyday and write about. Then I'll find its Him I need to first be getting along with and everyone I cross paths with, I will strive to see through His eyes just the way He intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?