Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I won't run on Sunday - Chariots of Fire

“My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.” Psalm 62:7 NLT

This is one of those good phrases that If I'm not careful, I'll miss. I've always found with bible that the answer is in front of my face the whole time, and in time I'll see that. It's been a crazy weekend of work and family. I owe Susan another vacation, I spent most of it working on video stuff in the hotel room. Only to discover on Monday that all that work was unnecessary. It's all fixed for now. We'll test things today but I need to make this up to her. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I find myself giving credit to God, but not until I see Him deliver. I find this takes a lot of establishment. I find myself taking God for granted, knowing he provides, knowing he follows through. I had to get to church on Sunday not to attend services but to get a converter box. I walked in, someone nicely greeted me with a buletin, I walked out, came back in a second time, the same person noticed me but only asked if I had a buletin. I felt, where am I? All this person cares about is if I have a buletin? I find myself being alone. David (the guy who wrote this) was always alone. I'm reminded of Monk. Monk is a an investigator who is OCD. He appears to be completely out of it and not make any sense to anything, yet when all the odds are gone. Everyone stands back to watch him do his work. He's weird but he discovers things and notices things that everyone passes up. He can't care because he's not afraid to to be him. Then there's Erik Littel from Chariots of Fire, who did the same thing, he liked to run but took opportunity to share the gospel with his fans. He even stood up for the sabbath when a race landed on it. The papers were screaming with headlines about it. Such a little thing but, but so respected. His competitor just didn't understand what drove him to win these races. Not working on Sunday or doing anything on Sunday is something I've had to bypass since I got into retail. The world still respects this day, all the sunday ads come out on Sunday, everything is new on Sunday. At my work Saturday is Monday, and Sunday is Tuesday. Yet for generations Sunday has always been the 7th day. Monk had his abilities, David wasn't afraid of his passion for God, and Erik wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed. He wasn't afraid of the headlines. It may not be working on Sunday, it may be just obeying Him in the moment. Fighting what I don't want to do. Not being afraid who I am. Hits me, Erik was himself, as was Monk, as was David. They were who God made them to be. Once I enter fears territory, I forget who I am at times, and who he wants me to be. the more I spend time with Him, the easier it is to make those hard decisions that I really see Him working on me and a decision to not run on Sunday or just obeying Him isn't hard to say or, but an honor because He's my refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?