Monday, March 5, 2012

Replacing God with Church

“And you must commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these commands that I am giving you today. Repeat them again and again to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up.” Deuteronomy 6: 6-7 NLT

Uncle, Uncle, UNCLE. OK I got it, I need to remember this stuff. But why? Slept well, weird dreams, but that means I slept well, right? Already had my coffee, but I need to read and think. First thing I think of in the morning is what time is it? or if we've been up with Shayne most the night, it's am I going to wake up in time? Once I'm up, its feeding the cat who usually wakes me up. Then the coffee gets made and I check on the verse.   Why do I have to be reminded to do healthy things? To do things that are good for me? My wife has to remind me to pay some bills (thankfully we have the money to pay them). To do this, to do that. When I've done my honey do's before work, I love txting her back yes. But when it comes to coupons, forget it, I've lost that battle. That's all hers. I always mess that up. I feel so bad when I've committed to doing things for friends and family and I half way do it and don't finish it. I intend to finish things but I get pulled away and things get left for months and then years. I feel terrible. Why is that? Is it my priorities are wrong? Hey were all busy, right? I read and think, I'm reminded of Office Space. When Peter Gibbons was tired of work, he just didn't want to go. He had just given up. He wasn't depressed, he was just frustrated with corporate stuff. Then I'm reminded of church. Why do I go? Due to my crazy schedule on weekends, all spare time is family time. I've always been confused about church. Life was so different outside those walls. I wasn't sure what was going on inside the walls either. If I could pay attention for more than 7 minutes during the sermon, I was lucky. Kneeling for prayer and keeping my eyes closed? was another challenge, I think it did once. I then gave up just looked. My ADD was to just too much to handle. I could sing well, but was more focused on how well people could hear my good voice, than what I was singing. Then it was note time, maybe if I just take down everything this guy says, I'll remember.......nope. Oh I got it, I'll highlight every page of the bible, that'll mean I've memorized it. Then I started thinking of what was on TV after church, where were going for lunch (because I was getting hungry). I never spoke of God after that. I just knew that I was told to worship (singing as far as I knew) God at church. But Why? Ya I got convicted at times and read and had my quiet time and felt good about things throughout the week. I invited maybe 1 person to church. I found my life in church was so different than my life outside. I had such a mask on. Where was God? All i saw was a show of people being happy and making sure everyone else was happy. They should all work in the hotel industry. Yet I was judging them. I judged everyone I knew. I've replaced God with Church. How can that happen? Is that possible? Hits me, I get so preoccupied with to do lists and how I should be lists, that I forget how many things God wants to be apart of in my life. Whether it be church, family, work, projects, friends, spontaneous, parenthood, etc. God wants to show me where and how He can make things mean something more than I've made them to be. More than I think they can be. He wants me to remember Him everyday and everywhere. Even when I think I've got His ideas and thoughts figured out, I don't. He wants to occupy and consume my life not just be a visitor for a season, but live here for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?