Thursday, May 24, 2012

Delightfully Copyrighting

“Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.” Romans 12:10 NLT

Verses like these always make me think. Think about what they really mean. Slept ok, last night, no I didn't, I'm tired and have a busy day today. I'm working on a big project and learning about how to do it legally instead of just getting it done. Coffee's been good this morning but I'm still tired. I read and think, copyrighting comes to mind. It used to never be big deal, but our graphics lady yesterday put it in a great way for me. It's like going to the grocery store and not paying for anything but taking what you want. In the viral world, its hugely critical. I can't just go to google images and download something (even though I can).I can't just insert it into a powerpoint, pro presenter, photoshop, I need to ask permission. I need to acknowledge them and credit them. Sure these days, anything's possible, I can hack my way into something and download whatever I want. It doesn't make it right though. I can also go to the thousands of stock websites and find usually better photos an videos. I read and think, Affirmation wasn't a growing up instinct for me, its something I learned to acquire from watching others. I really had a hard time affirming people. When I was affirmed I loved it, but man it was hard to give it back in return. Giving credit to where credits due, humbling myself, admitting if I don't know something. Admitting if I did something wrong.  And for me, not taking things so personally at times. Sure its easy to credit someone for physically helping me out, but it's tough when you stole it from them online. They'll never find out, its all hidden. But is it? No, sure I might love a certain song, or love a movie clip, picture, etc. But somebody made that. It was there skill, time and energy that respectfully needs the honor for that. They are helping me communicate my message and they deserve the credit and when I honor them it'll be delightful because I'll know I had the right to do it at whatever the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?