Friday, May 4, 2012

Marriage, Coffee, and a mug

“Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14 NLT

At first I wasn't sure if I had already read this one. This is one of those I learned in High School or maybe younger. the humble yourself and pray verse. My mom gave us a date night last night and we had trouble finding one our favorite places that was now closed or finding one that wasn't full. We finally found one and settled in. Meanwhile Shayne was enjoying the irrigation with cousin Kyle at grandmas. Sip some coffee, I read and think. The only thing that stands out to me is humility. Humility was always tough for me growing up. Admitting if I didn't know something or did something wrong or just praying. Why do I need to humble myself to pray? How are these two even related? Prayer shouldn't be even an issue. Is it because I know I'm wicked and by seeking God's face I'll show him the stuff I'm embarrassed of? I'm reminded of marriage, coffee, and a mug. Marital bliss is something that I find myself fighting for these days, working on, striving for. There are books about it, movies, counselors, etc. Coffee is the joining of the two in conversation. The mug is what allows you to sip and listen to the other. Sip some coffee, I find myself preparing coffee in the morning for both my wife and I, so that we can talk later and focus. I'm God's bride, working on my relationship in a blog as I read and think. He show's me as the coffee is sipped how he wants to humble me to pray. Just as I work on my marriage with my wife, God is working on my relationship with Him. It's really interesting. It's like the first time I really started taking responsibility and doing what I said I was going to do. Sure I can have a great time with God but what's happening after that? Sure I can have a great conversation with my wife, but am I forgetting the things I promised I would get done that day? or things that I said that hurt her, that I would never say again for the rest of my life? I can pray all I want to to God and communicate with Him throughout the day, but am I checking in on my wife too, to tell her I'm thinking about her? Hey I'm busy. Hits me, just as prayer requires humility, God is pulling me to Him with coffee and a mug in the early hours of the morning. He's refining my marriage with Him and my wife and daughter. Yes, I'm vulnerable in this blog, I don't say "we" ever simply because I'm not talking about anybody but me. If God's going to restore my land and my family to Him, for now He'll provided a cupboard full of coffee and mugs, and remind me in his own way to protect and preserve my marriage with Him and my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?