Friday, May 25, 2012

I didn't kill my wife......I don't care - The Fugitive

“Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry.” James 1:19 NLT

At first I'm thinking, oh this verse. Usually I am quick to speak and slow to listen. That's probably why James wrote it. Didn't sleep well, but I have a lot of work to do today on a video, actually today and tomorrow. Sip more coffee, I read and think. Dang I had to sip a lot of coffee. I'm reminded of the scene from the Fugitive when, Richard Kimble is a the edge of the tunnel about to jump. He turns around says " I didn't kill my wife" and Detective Gerard says, "I don't care". I can't count how many times I haven't listened to people. I'm just trying to strike conversation or get something done and they have something going on. Later when Kimble called the station and reminded Gerard of the conversation. Gerard replied "I'm not trying to solve a puzzle", Kimble then said "Well, I am trying to solve a puzzle, and I just found a big piece" and leaves the phone on the desk so they can trace the line. Gerard was just trying to find Kimble and get this done but Kimble needed someone to listen. I've listened to peoples stories many times and have even done documentary's on them. Stories are fascinating to me. Sometimes listening is all they need. Being a guy, I want to fix it. I catch myself alot. I find when they try to fix me, I try to tell them I've already done that.  Usually they don't give me that chance. So I end up listening wondering, when they're going to shut up. Kimble needed a friend and could tell from that conversation that Gerard would listen.  The so called criminal is sending a cop to a lead to his innocence. I read and think. Detective Gerard didn't get angry, he was doing his job. He told Kimble he didn't care, which invited Kimble to come back for help.  I have found when I really listen and hear the person out, I have to process everything later. I might get angry later but at least I'm slow to it. Hits me, sure this was a detective hunting down a fugitive. It wasn't a passer by that needed listening. Kimble wasn't running away, he was doing his own investigation and leading Gerard to discover his innocense, and Gerard followed right and a long, because really, he did care and didn't want anyone to know. But he still followed. How many times has it appeared that I'm running from God but really it's my way of seeking Him. My puzzle will never end, because His word stands forever where He leads me. People don't need to care but I'll show them where I am at and they can track if they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?