Tuesday, January 24, 2012

1 finger forward, 3 pointing back

Dear brothers and sisters, if another believer is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path. And be careful not to fall into the same temptation yourself.” Galatians 6:1 NLT

Huh? what did this just say? Easier said than done. I didn't sleep well at all. Everyone else did though. Sip some coffee, good coffee this morning, I read and think. I remember growing up and being told to stay away from "that person over there" because they were in sin, "they have a lot of problems" and only those who went forward for prayer were in sin (except for the missionaries of course). When I hit High School, I couldn't but point the finger and judge. Then of course there's the old saying "when you point one finger forward, remember you have 3 pointing back at you." I think I've lost count of how many times I've been overcome by sin, and felt so alone, although God did provide me a great group of guys to assist me in my battles. During those years, I was determined to only validate people and their issues. I can only picture trying to help someone who has just fallen through the ice, and not fall through myself. I'm reminded of the scene in Lord of the Rings, when Gandalf confronts Bilbo Baggins about the ring in his pocket. He was only trying to help him. I can recall many moments in my youth when other guys just didn't understand my struggles and how alone I felt. Back in that time, you didn't talk about your struggles you just dealt with them. I have always found when I am overcome by sin, its usually when God is really using me or when I'm thick into a very important video project. My the temptations come in thick, just consuming my thoughts like crazy, enough to drive me crazy at times. Once the project is near the end, they dwindle away. I find myself so thick in a fuzzy fog that it doesn't occur to me to call for help. I recall moments earlier when, I could feel that still small voice say "call for backup now, not later". I can sense in my brothers when they're fighting something, but I don't mention anything usually. I'm amazed of how hidden the enemy likes me to be. How dishonest, rational, and how thick of a barrier I put up over time. When those humble and godly people come around, I don't get it and don't understand what they're doing, why they're there. The sin didn't just appear and overwhelm me, it came in over time, like clutter that just little by little fills your home. Hits me, sins always going to be here, I'm going to battle it till the day I die, but Christ will give me a way of a escape, Him. He give's me a way each time, do I take it, not always. He'll put people in my life that I need to listen to, to help me get back on the right path, it'll take time, weeks, months, years of consistent dedication because this life isn't easy, with God it's even tougher, and that's why I need Him so much, then why the battle? Because that's how He designed me to grow in Him and strive to be a victorious Godly christian guy. And when I'm through that season and my friends go through their own crap, I'll be right there for them just as they were for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?