Friday, January 6, 2012

Blu-ray vs. VHS

"So think clearly and exercise self-control. Look forward to the gracious salvation that will come to you when Jesus Christ is revealed to the world.” 1 Peter 1:13 NLT

I just don't get this one, I had to read almost the whole chapter to figure out what this was. We had a nice time with my sister and her family last night. I slept ok but not the best, sip some coffee, I read and think. I really have to figure this one out. Think clearly and self control? For some reason, I think of High Definition and cooking with Pam. Why i don't know. But I will say, I'm always trying to figure out in lei-mans terms how to explain Jesus Christ to someone who doesn't know Him. I'm always trying to figure out how to explain High Definition to people who don't understand what it is. Then I think about it, I have to explain to myself who Jesus is.  How many times have I battle clarity of mind with self control? Usually it's self control that gives me a clear mind. Self control is huge, regardless of what it is. I'm reminded of the quote from Indiana Jones and the last Crusade when Donovan says "the healing power of the grail is the only thing that can save your dad now, it's time to ask yourself, what you believe". Then I'm reminded of a conversation I had last night at my parents house with my nieces and nephews. I told them I had Star Wars on blu-ray and I would bring it over for them. My nephew asked me "what's the difference between these vhs's that grandma and grandpa have". I couldn't explain it, because they had to see it.  Whats the difference between making pancakes with no pam or butter vs with pam or butter? Stick or no stick? Is this life worth waiting for Christ to return or should I just give up? I gave up before because I was tired of self control and clarity of mind and the work it involved. All the battling I had. Yet i felt more alone, empty, and without hope inside when I gave up on God. I'm always thinking of ways to explain complicated things, then I find I make them more complicated. I read and think, blu-ray needs its own player, sure the discs will fit into any player but they won't play. Ya, I have to upgrade all the my gear to watch this nice picture, to watch a favorite movie in HD. I don't want an HD tv, my old piece of crap works just fine. I can wait or can I? Can I exercise self control in the areas I battle and pray to think clearly and just look forward to when Christ is makes his return? Hits me, no matter how challenging self control can be and have a clear mind can be, God's with me in all of it. I can own as many blu-ray discs as I want and not have any of the right gear to see the clarity, until I give in and get that HD tv and only then will I see what was waiting for me the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?