Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Courageous

“And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.” Philippians 4:8 NLT

I feel like someone just shoved a bunch of food in my mouth. Just give me these one at a time please. Slept better last night, coffee's good this morning, I read and think. Usually when we get a final thought from a key note speaker, its another 30 minutes. What kind of final thought was that? I can admit I'm a pretty honest and truthful person, the other 4 categories are questionable. That's a lot to chew on. I finally saw the movie "Courageous" the other day (no Kirk Cameron wasn't in this one, he was in fireproof, same creators though, sarcasm). A very well written film about 4 police officers that take there training and focus on there families. They mess up and are tested but all end up signing a resolution on pretty much what this verse is talking about. The point of the film was that there is a lack of quality fathers in this country, which is true to a degree. I give the film 3 1/2 stars, mediocre acting but good at times, good violence, excellent message, ending lost me, definitely worth watching. Even when I was single, I noticed weird stuff going on, it was evident of what things were stupid to do and what things weren't. Why did I still do them, there were moments when I was none of those things, and still are after marriage and now as a father. Some guys at work had no idea I was saved, until I bowed my head to pray. One guy said "really I would have never thought". I said "are you serious?" I felt like an idiot the rest of the day. I remember in High School, attempting to be a punk to a teacher, she pulled me aside and said "Nathan, you're not a punk, don't try to be one". I read and think, worthy of praise? think about things? This is a lot to chew on. Who am I to judge what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, admirable. Hits me, these attributes are who Jesus is, so the more I focus on Him the more he'll live in me. Easier said than done, from the moment I wake up to the moment I lay down and throughout the night I'm being tested, tried, and challenged (try having a toddler). Those are moments when I need to strive to be courageous, talk to God, ask him to show me what all these attributes are all about. I want to know what God expects of me as a dad and husband. I am who I am, I will mess up, and I do mess up, thats because I thought my thoughts were fixed on God and they slid. God's constantly modifying me for Him on a daily basis even if I don't notice, He is. It takes courage to get back and stay on the right path even if I drifted just a little (or so I thought).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?