Sunday, January 29, 2012

Can't stack chairs?, you shouldn't be preaching

“He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.”” Mark 9:35 NLT

The first and last verse, I've never really understood this. Shayne's gone through a whole day without meds and a fever, so we're really thankful to God that it was only a 24 hr thing. She slept good but we didn't again. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I'm reminded of my job again, really. The resort and hotel industry is all about service. Going the extra mile for the customer, whether it's as simple as luggage all the way up to custom making your food with your dietary needs and to also call for tickets to the baseball game due lack of time or even to help search for your lost luggage because you have meeting to rush to. In audio visual, its running laptop power to a table, because they don't want to have it at the podium, asking them if they have sound coming from their power point, and if they'd like a clicker to advance their slides remotely, would like a lapel mic so that you walk around. Would like this recorded for future reference and documentation? All these of course are things we sell, but things people don't think about. How would you like the lights dimmed? Would like a light on the podium so people may see the presenter easier? Would you like a speaker timer, so you don't run over? (like that ever works, they always go over). I've always loved to help people out, love to fix the problem and have a solution. When I was working for ultimate, service was what they pushed. Offer them a bottle of water, remember their needs, write them down. Do what's best for them, and they will be back. I'm amazed of many people were not used to good service, they would actually be surprised when I'd call them on the day of the install to make sure it was happening, make sure everything was good. I didn't make much money, but I did have letters on the walls from customers acknowledging me. Where's the money? I had to quit. I read and think, I'm reminded of a phrase from a lecturer at bible School, he said "if you can't stack chairs, you shouldn't be preaching". Hits me, I've been that guy that didn't want to stack chairs, yet I would be giving a youth group talk. I'm also reminded of my grandma Kinkel telling her mother "mom, you've served of us long enough, now it's our turn to serve you". Or from Robin Hood Prince of thieves, when Azeem says "I had fulfilled my vow". Christ came to be and example of the ultimate servant, to show me how it's done. I'm amazed of how much training I needed when I first got into hospitality, they put me through 3 days of it. I went from asking someone if they needed help to, to noticing that they needed help and assisting them immediately. I also am amazed of how understanding it makes me when I'm being served. I always thought, I would be negative on bad service, but yet I totally understand when someone is trying their best, and when I don't give them a hard time, I come out better in the end.  Christ was the ultimate servant for everyone, its amazing of how the desire to be #1 always starts with focusing and caring about everyone else, and stack those chairs with pride, and that's when I truly see his work in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?