Thursday, January 19, 2012

Do to others as I think they deserve

“Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.” Matthew 7:12 NLT

I honestly never believed this was a verse when I was growing up, it seemed like such a common sense phrase that someone had made up. Well here it is. Mommy's not feeling better yet, meds are done, but she still feels like crap, back to the doctor. She's been sick since the beginning December. I slept ok last night, but coffee is needed this morning. Sip some coffee, I read and think, this goes along with the sticks and stones phrase. To me it just doesn't work at times. I'm a nice guy and I still gets screwed over by people. I will say that when I've been nice and easy going with sales people at the store, it has paid off. Rude and mean people just make me miserable, yet I've done that before too. I've had people tell me, why are u so mean? I'll say to them, I learned everything from you. I'm reminded of John Rambo, all he was doing was wondering into a small town, and the sheriff didn't like how he looked and wanted him gone. John did nothing, and then the sheriff pushed him too far, triggering moments of his past, causing him to be violent, and they all regretted it. I've always been interested in what people do for a living, what their hobbies are. Everyone's unique. I used a phrase in youth group "tell me something about yourself, that you think I could care less about". I was amazed of what the kids would say. Growing up I was always in the class with the outcasts (the kids that knew there was more to life than school), I didn't feel like one but I could tell they all did. We were all friends, it was the jocks that messed with us. This is a challenging verse, because I have to do things and expect nothing in return, yet when it's done to me, I want return the favor. It's like a love language, when someone makes me feel loved, I want to make them feel loved. It's weird, when someones a jerk, I want to return the favor. I read and think, I'm not buddhist, so I don't believe in Karma. Why do bad things happen to good people? Hits me, I keep on reading this as, Do to other's whatever they deserve. It's tough when people are jerks, I'm amazed of how I can copy them and be a jerk to someone else. This sounds so simple, but so complicated at the same time. I have to believe that God is a just God regardless of how a situation appears and how I feel at the time. I need to strive to apply this (usually happens after the fact). I have to remember that God came to show me a new life in Him and not that I'm going to die one day. That's how I need to treat others, as He looks at me and not how they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?