Thursday, January 5, 2012

Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die - Princess Bride

“Wash yourselves and be clean! Get your sins out of my sight. Give up your evil ways. Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.” Isaiah 1:16-17 NLT

Is Isaiah running for office? Thats the first thing I think of. I am about in busy season, today is my only day off until next weekend or so. Its great because I need the hours. Sucks because I'll be away from the family and sleep for a while. We all slept well last night, sip some coffee, I read think. What exactly is going on this one? As I read back a few verses, apparently Isaiah is sharing a vision that God gave him. Dang what a vision. I've never had something like this before. I read and think, I'm reminded of the Princess Bride and Inigo Montoya when after Wesley was supposedly "mostly dead", Inigo just collapsed, but was rescued by Fezzik and he nurses him back to health. Inigo's mission in life was to avenge his father's death, to pursue and kill the 6 fingered man. What passion that is. It makes sense, if someone killed my dad, I'd probably be after them too. Dedicate my whole life for that? probably not, but I would like to find out and want justice. Then Westley told him "you've dedicated your life to sword play". How many times have I wished harm on people for hurting me? Many times. When I suffered rejection in my youth, I wanted to kick so many butts it was crazy, the thoughts I'd have. Yet my dad would tell me to pray for them, which I did. It helped a little, but the fire inside me still grew. I wanted justice, I felt like Ralphie in a Christmas story at times, but never did what he did. I read and think, sometimes I literally do need to take a shower and wash myself clean because I'm so angry and frustrated, go cold turkey in my evil ways, choose to do good and keep practicing it and learn how to do it. This life is a process, its a bunch opportunities to be who God wants me to be, it's not easy. I've hurt people before because I wanted to, and I believed, they deserved it. I was mad and took off my naive mask that so many thought was me, and just turned around burned them. Inigo had reason to pursue the six fingered man, yet he was such a nice guy, he had a good heart, yet he had a flame and anger within. Hits me, I don't realize how dirty I am, how the particles of my past affect my decisions today. Sure they've given me a thicker skin, but I see pain through that. Am I living my life in pursuit of justice and avenging myself or someone else? Will my past issues have me in Inigo's spot and have Fizzik find me and nurse back to health? That's how I feel at times (just drained). These people needed Isaiah to nurse them back to health, I need my friends to get me back into focus on what's really important and not let my past point me in the wrong directions. But remind me that I can be clean and learn to do good even if I don't agree. And when I have experienced that freedom, the good that came from it, the visions and dreams I'd have, it's like my clogged mind was cleared so only He could live there (of course until I'd screwed up again that is).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?