Thursday, November 15, 2012

Good employee or faithful servant

As the LORD commanded his servant Moses, so Moses commanded Joshua, and Joshua did it; he left nothing undone of all that the LORD commanded Moses.
At first I'm thinking of life's great pleasures. Those things that just make you have great day. So I googled it. The top 3 made sense, finding money, taking a vacation, and getting into bed with fresh sheets. Then there's that moment when you're working out a plan that was given to you, and your thinking that they're going to love what your doing. Only to find out later that things changed and they didn't inform you. Sip some coffee, I read and think. It's amazing when I start obeying God and I feel weird about it. When I disobey God, I feel convicted about it. It's this war going on between good and evil. Between logic and care, between time and money. Joshua could have said, now wait, what I am going to get out of this. He simply did it. I was told recently that I was a good employee. I thought about it and said, well the work needs to get done. Do I whistle while I work? The old saying "love what you do for a living and you'll never work again" comes to mind. I'll never forget telling telling my dad when I was working for him, that I was having fun. He said "I don't want you playing around now, I want you working". For the first time, it hit me that when God gave me joy in what I was doing. I was serving God as I was working. It seems so contrasting. How can God give me joy in Him while I'm making money? I also spoke with a guy many years ago about paying someone to preach. The debate was, it just didn't seem right to pay a pastor who should be doing this for the Lord. My argument was the size of the load that was placed on the pastor. Then it hit me later, that we are all pastors. Hits me, am I working in this life to serve or am I serving God and he's putting me to work? Joshua loved God and left nothing undone because he found joy in what he was doing.  As I pursue God in different way's, he'll direct me where I need to go and I'll have joy in whatever I do. It doesn't matter what  I am doing. As long as I am doing. I might stall but I have to keep moving even if its to think. I need to be faithful to God and sometimes that takes forever. Sure I can be a good employee, anyone can. But a faithful servant? that takes something more than just good, that's personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?