Friday, October 14, 2011

Is This Good for the Company?

“Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” Romans 12:2 NLT

Sip some coffee, I'm tired. Wow this one can mean anything. I get thoughts of mimicking people, to going with the flow, my retail days, cutting some corners to get someone a better deal, following the book, etc. Sip some coffee, I'm reminded of Hook and how Peter had been gone so long he's forgotten everything, then Field of Dreams comes to mind when the Uncle finally see's the players on the field. I'll never forget when I first started working for Ultimate Electronics, the two weeks of training I went through in order for me to be qualified to talk to customers on the floor. I read and think, I read and think. I have to remember that I wasn't stupid, and how I saw so many guys fall into the trap of making money for the company and not thinking of the customer's needs. I think of the audio adrenaline song "you can't take God away from me".  It didn't matter how much training they gave me, I wasn't stupid, I was human and I told them. Sometimes I feel like Edmond Dantes in the Count of Monte Cristo, so innocent, yet he had vengeance.  I read and think, sometimes doing what I know the right, is totally not cool.  I've told customers that half the guys in this store could care less about them (that word got out and I lost a bunch of friends) I didn't care though, I was tired of innocent people getting screwed over. "Nathan we're running a business here" I know.  I felt like I was George Bailey yelling at Mr. Potter at times.  You want me to sell? I'll sell things to people that they don't need and make some money for the company. I read and think, Hits me. I think of the banner "Is this good for the company?" in Office space a favorite movie in our household, the context and layout of corporate America is priceless. Sure I can follow my training on how to sell and can learn every trick, read every book, watch every webinar, but as Psalty said "you can sing until you're blue in the face, but if it's not from your heart it's not praise". I can work and follow orders, if I'm not using common sense in what i know God wants me to do, I feel empty. The Company I work for now is all about the customer and I fit right in, I've been recognized several times for going above and beyond for people. Hits me again, I can be really focused on God yet arrogant to a point where I fall on my face, if I don't strive to live for God on a daily basis, I don't get that change of mindset He has in store and knowing what He wants me to do won't be obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?