Monday, October 31, 2011

Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English Accent - Robin Hood Men in Tights

“Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are.” 1 Peter 5:8-9 NLT

Oh yes, the one and only, the big one. I remember this one very well in Jr. High. What is God going to tell me about this one? I have no idea. I'm tired this morning, it was nice to be at home with the family last night. We watch Robin Hood Men in Tights, I hadn't seen that one in a long time. Mel Brooks is a comic genius at times and other times, down right stupid. Sip some coffee, I read and think, as I was watching the movie, I was reminded of how actor Cary Elwes was in Princess Bride and now in Robin Hood, there was no other role for him, he's a sword fighter, just fits the part. Then I'm thinking, today's Holloween. Supposedly everyone dresses up in a disguise for fun. I'm reminded of spiderman 2 when venom creeps up on Peter Parker while lying on his bed. Then I'm reminded of a mime my youth group did in 1995 at camp to the Terminator soundtrack about how the devil is around the corner. I just don't picture the devil as a roaring lion, I see him as a memory of my past haunting me and stalling me from believing in myself. I think of all the marriages around me that are dying or are dead already, and how I have to fight for my marriage and by fighting in my marriage to fight for my marriage.  My wife and I duked it out again this weekend. I had an epiphany afterwards. It was that the things she learned to face back in her childhood are the things I am having to face now in my adult years, and the things I grew out of way back in the day she's learning to grow out of now. I have a tremendous fear of failure, she doesn't. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I think of the actors that have ruined there careers by the roles they have played, like Kevin Costner in Robin Hood, Hayden Christiansen in Star Wars, etc. Then there are the roles that moved the actors to mega stars. Harrison Ford as Indiana jones, Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption, Denzel Washington in Glory, Matthew Broderick in Ferris Bueller, of course Cary Elwes in Princess Bride, Michael J Fox in Back to the future, Christopher Reeve in Superman, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. I have to remember that just because you don't succeed doesn't mean you should give up. Every time I watch American Idol or America's Got Talent, and I watch the people get depressed, I'm thinking, don't they realize this is how the industry goes? I read and think, hits me.  I can look out for danger all I want, I can live paranoid all my life, I can live in fear that something bad will happen and be afraid of everything, but I have to realize that with others on your side, without the challenges I face, if I give up and give in like I do at times, God's still there and I need to not give up but keep seeking those things and people that he's put in my path. Maybe I can put on a disguise and the devil won't see me, it is Halloween.  Even when I'm tired of being alert, tired of thinking about what's to come, God always has a back up plan for me and won't let me go into the dumps. I have to believe and not be rational, I have to do what I don't want to do, because usually that's what I should do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?