Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Weird People are normal, and normal people are weird

“singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts. And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Ephesians 5:19-20 NLT

At first I'm thinking of church and growing up, then I'm thinking of people who don't understand this "music to the Lord in your hearts" thing. Whistle while you work come's to mind. Should I even explain why I didn't sleep last night? I won't, it's the same news. The video I'm working on is finally coming together, should really have something to watch by today. Sip some coffee, I read and think. I can't recall how many times I have fallen asleep or failed to pay attention in class or to an instructor because my mind doesn't work that way. Sure I can listen for 5 minutes, then I'll drift for 5 and the cycle goes on. I have to have something going on. Library's are too quiet, coffee houses are just fine, I need that noise into to focus.  I was diagnosed with ADD non hyperactive back in 2000, and took adderal to help slow my mind down. It really helped, I couldn't believe how well I could focus.  They really told me, rest was a key thing. LOL, really no kidding.  Fortunately before my diagnosis I had already overcome many of the symptoms, such as having a routine in the morning, schedule, being on time, finishing projects, etc. The areas that I had trouble with were, keeping interest in what other people had to say, hyper focusing, day dreaming, working with other people, trouble academically, exercise, sleep, clutter, collecting things, in debt. The counselor told me to count down from 100 by 3, your kidding, there's no why I can do that, I made it to 60, couldn't do it. I can make a formula in excel that can do that.  What can I say, I'm technical. I learn when I'm not expecting to. Don't show me a video about something, I'll critique the editing, have me edit a video about what you want me to learn and I'll learn about it. Have me a shoot a sermon and I'll understand everything about it. Don't put me in audience I'll critique construction of the building. I read and think finally. Is this a problem I've got, no. I reminded of the the X men, how they were considered weird people, but they really had gifts, just so many of them. They tried to tame them which was healthy. I find it the same for me, sure I can have control over areas of my life in order to be person nice to be around, but God's made me His way, I'll get ideas, hear music and visualize a video while driving. I'll hear a story and visualize a promotional. I'll never forget participating in a biathlon many years ago. I had to swim and run, that was it. Crap, I knew I couldn't swim, but I could run. The race began with 15 people I think, and I was the last one out of the water, I was saving my energy for the run, everyone looked at me with eyes of sorrow and sadness. But little did they know what I had up my sleeve, I quickly put on my shoes and I had my walkman ready with my "fast tape" qued up to my Petra song "fired up"and I outran everyone in the mile and came in 2nd place (because James Hrubik won, no way I could beat him). I was recognized the next morning for it. It was my song, Fired up, its crazy of how music makes me drive fast, good song, get me on the freeway. Sip some coffee, hits me. Just as I have a weird way of learning, like Akeelah and the bee, I write these blogs to learn and let God talk to me, It's not just scripture and another singing verse, it's God telling me, it's ok to be me. I think of John Candy in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, "I like me, people like me", etc. I think out loud, which can drive others crazy, and when funny things come to mind, I laugh out loud, I'm spontaneous, I'm passionate, I don't give up. I think of Mark Zuckerberg in the Social Network "I'm not thinking of about the trial right now, I'm thinking about facebook. Just as I think after I speak, God knew he couldn't send a king in the form of a king, so he sent a King in the form of a baby, someone we didn't expect, but now someone we're thankful for and strive to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?