Monday, October 10, 2011

"Think...chicken wings" - Tommy boy

“Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. You can make many plans, but the Lord’s purpose will prevail.” Proverbs 19:20-21 NLT

These kind of verses have always fascinated me.  It's like basically don't try to do it yourself, its ok to ask someone. Sip some coffee, yet its that world of being told how to do things, they're not answering your question, but just taking up more of your time, and they really don't know. Slept ok last night, not bad, I have the next two days off. I have a messy truck full of junk, some other junk still in the condo to get rid of, a bathroom to paint and finish, mother in law comes on friday. I'll make it happen, its about time. Sip some coffee, I read and think, I read and think. It's a tough road to travel when you've been rejected when younger, I'd take things literally, ask for advice only to be led astray because they just wanted to joke with me. Being treated like that throughout my life, made me a go to guy. Those guys who would play around like that would eventually ask me for advice knowing I would be honest, especially in the working world.  It also makes me think of the golden rule. I don't like to do things twice, but how do I get to this point.  When I was younger doing things 20 times didn't even phase me. Why now? I think of Tommy boy "well you can get a good look at your butcher" he couldn't get the analogy right. I was always the one to be told, "Nathan he just said 20 minutes ago". Why was I so behind? Now, I find myself saying that very thing to other people.  This thing hits my stubborn side, my humility, my what will they think side, fear. I don't like to be told what to do about certain things. When I was younger I was embarrassed, now I'm proud I have a connection. I read and think, I read and think. Just the other day I went to the Apple store to ask about the New version of my editing software, I'd heard bad things about it, so I wanted the truth and I got the truth, I still need to get some facts but I did get some answers.  Hits me, God has designed me to ask for help in areas that I don't feel like it at times. He wants me to ask Him for help when I feel I can handle it. He's made me to communicate with people, to approach people.  I'm reminded in While You were sleeping.....when joe jr. said "Ice Capades, I got tickets......I know a guy".  Finding Nemo, when he asked everyone for help. I think of Lord of the Rings: it took a fellowship of brothers to get that ring back in the fire, I think of the Goonies: they all needed everyones help to find the treasure and survive. At work when we're on a set, whether its lighting, audio, video, rigging, projection, computers, cameras, each guy has his own talent, everyone works together without question.  It takes a lot, at times to admit when you've made a mistake. Hits me again. If it hadn't been for my rejection years (which at times seem to still continue) I wouldn't be who I am today, it's crazy.  For me to see God's purpose prevail I have to ask for advice and assistance. I keep on thinking, this life is about me surviving, but it's really about God's plan prevailing through me to glorify him even when it means pain or feeling like and idiot. I think of Tommy boy, of how he had the ability but it wasn't untill Richard pointed it out what he could do. "think...chicken wings" and he saved the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?