Monday, September 19, 2011

Oh Fuuuuuuuudge

“Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Ephesians 4:29 NLT

Oh great not this one! I still have trouble believing they cussed and stuff in the bible times, but apparently they did. I begin to laugh at what we used to consider foul language back in the day.  I slept well last night, really trying to get to bed earlier, now that we're in the condo, not quite settled yet, still a number of things to unpack, get rid of, I have only 2 weeks left to get everything out of the apartment (sold hopefully).  We're really looking at rebooting our family and starting fresh in this place. I'll never forget being in Pasadena with relatives back in the 80's sometime and shooting hoops with my cousin Jason and his neighbor, his neighbor cussed so much that I bet him if I could make a basket from the road then he would promise me he would quick cussing.  Now this was no flat driveway, it was totally curved down, so I had to really put my all into this shot, and if you know me, I'm not really good. I made it!! He didn't swear for the rest of our shooting time. Everyone tells me that was God, lol. I read and think and I read and think. I'm amazed of how at times I'm such a good swearer, the words come out like I've been doing it for years. Yet it's not like me to swear.  When I was younger I learned it from my peers, when I was older from my co-workers. Sure I grew up in a great christian home, they didn't matter. My friends Doug, Dave, and I edited the swearing out of Dumb and Dumber back in '97 (that was a lot of fun). I read and think, for some reason every time I let the words come out of my mouth, I felt a pinch on my heart. Hits me, sometimes a cuss word just relieves me of how I'm feeling at the moment. Sometimes I just want to yell at God and let Him have it. I think after I speak not before.  I've never felt good about myself after being cussed at by someone (I've usually deserved it) but it never made feel good about myself. It's like the saying "stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" that's a bunch of $#%#$^@. Oops, sorry. Hits me again, the more consistent I am with reading these daily verses the less desire I have to use abusive language, sure they slip out accidentally at times but not nearly as often.  I guess it's God's way of clearing things up to make me more like Him, boy this is a long process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?